Don’t know what to do with your pumpkin flesh this Halloween? Why not have a go at this Pumpkin Pie recipe!
1. 6 sheets filo pastry
2. 300g pumpkin flesh, cooked
3. 2 eggs
4. 1 egg, white only
5. 50g honey
6. 1/2 tsp allspice
7. 1/2 tsp ginger
8. 1 tsp cinnamon
· The night before, dice the pumpkin and boil in water for 10 minutes until soft. Puree it in a blender then place in a muslin cloth and hang it over a bowl to catch the juice overnight.
· Pre-heat your oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3. Line 4 ramekins with 6 layers of filo pastry (stagger them and let them hang over the sides). Brush each layer of pastry with egg white as you place them in the ramekins.
· Place a handful of baking beads onto some cling film (or baking parchment) and wrap it to make a bag. Make 4 of these. Place the bags of baking beads onto the filo pastry cases and blind bake for 10 minutes.
· Remove from the oven and leave to cool, and then take the bags of baking beads out. Re-glaze the inside of the filo basket with egg white and place back in the oven for another 2 minutes.
· In a bowl, mix the pumpkin flesh, allspice, ginger, cinnamon, eggs and honey.
· Divide into 4 and spoon into the filo parcels (still in ramekins).
· Turn the oven down to 140C/120C Fan/Gas 2 and bake for 30-40 minutes until the mixture is set and has a firm wobble.
These pumpkin pies are sure to get your Halloween spirits going! Enjoy!