Halloween is nearly upon us so I thought I’d start the Halloween baking early with these Tombstone Biscuits!
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 75 caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 250g plain flour
- Melted chocolate and writing icing, to decorate
- Firstly, pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Beat the butter, sugar and a small pinch of salt together until evenly mixed and then add the egg yolk and stir together.
- Add the flour and mix to make stiff dough – start with a wooden spoon, then bring it together with your hands until just evenly mixed (you may need to add 1 tsp cold water). Pat into a block shape, cover with cling film, then let it chill for 30 minutes.
- Between 2 sheets of cling film, roll out the pastry to about 50mm thick. Cut into tombstone shapes and then put on them the baking trays.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on the trays for at least 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack. (If you move them any sooner, they'll break).
- Dip some in the melted chocolate and decorate with writing icing, adding funny messages such as 'Death by Chocolate'.
We hope you enjoy this sweet Halloween recipe! As we draw closer to Halloween next week, keep an eye out for an even more extravagant recipe!