Today’s recipe is going to be carrot cake! I noticed that we haven’t given you many cake options on our blog, so I thought I would give you a healthy alternative that can be used for birthdays, parties and anything else you can think of!
250g carrots, grated
150g sultanas (or raisins)
1 orange (zest only)
125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
275g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
1 level tsp mixed spice
6 level tbsp Silver Spoon Truvia sweetener, (plus 2 level tsp for the topping)
75g pecans (or walnuts - roughly chopped)
2 large eggs
150ml sunflower oil
200g reduced-fat mascarpone (for the topping)
1. Put the carrots, sultanas, orange zest and juice in a bowl. Mix them together and then leave them to soak for 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a 19-20cm square baking tray with baking paper.
3. In a second bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and spice until combined. And after, stir in the sweetener and nuts.
4. In a third bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil, and add it to the flour mixture along with the carrot mixture. Stir it well.
5. Turn the mixture into the tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Then cool on a wire rack.
6. Mix the remaining 2 tsp sweetener into the mascarpone. When the sponge is completely cooled, spread an even layer over the top of your cake to make the yummiest topping!
We hope you enjoy this yummy carrot cake recipe this week, and don’t forget to come back next Wednesday for another Freckles recipe!