Now we are well and truly in to Autumn I thought we could start on the autumnal recipes! Today we have a recipe on how to make banana and pecan cake, and it’s gluten-free!
· 150g pecan nuts
· 350g free from plain flour (gluten free)
· 2 level tsp xantham gum
· 2 ½ level tsp gluten-free baking powder
· 225g vitalite dairy free spread
· 225g caster sugar
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 4 large free-range eggs
· 4 very ripe bananas (300g peeled weight)
· 85g dark chocolate, chopped, or to make this dairy free as well as gluten free, use an 85g bar Kinnerton Dairy Free Luxury Dark chocolate
1. Firstly, pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Then, line a 33 x 23cm shallow tin with baking paper. Place half of the nuts on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes until lightly toasted. And then chop them roughly.
2. Sift the flour, xantham gum and baking powder in a bowl until combined.
3. In another bowl, beat the spread and sugar until creamy, and then add in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, adding 1 tbsp of the flour mixture with each egg.
4. Then, mash the bananas with a fork and fold them into the mixture with the rest of the flour, the chopped nuts and the dark chocolate.
5. Put into the cake tin and level the top. Don’t forget to scatter the top with the remaining nuts and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the middle of the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Eat and enjoy!
We hope you and your family love this gluten-free banana and pecan cake as much as we do!