Here is a super easy recipe to make an all time classic, jam and treacle tarts!
· 125g butter
· 225g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
· 1 level tbsp icing sugar
· 50g white bread (made into crumbs in a processor)
· 200g Golden Syrup
· Small unwaxed lemon, zest of
· 125g Raspberry Jam
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5 and chill a small jug of water in the fridge. Cut the butter into small cubes and leave out in room temperature for 5 minutes.
2. Sift the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles large crumbs.
3. Add 3 tbsp chilled water and mix with a round-bladed knife until it starts to make big clumps. Gather it together with your hands and shape it into a ball.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out as many 8cm rounds as you can. Gently put them in a bun tray and try not to stretch the pastry. With the pastry leftover, cut medium strips as wide as a pencil.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs with the syrup and lemon zest. Put 1 level tsp of this mixture in half of the pastry cased and 1 level tsp of raspberry jam in the other cases.
6. (This step is optional) Lay 2 strips of pastry on each tart to make a cross, dampening the pastry underneath with water (this will help it stick).
7. Bake the tarts for 20-25 minutes and then leave them to cool – the filling will be very, very hot!
After they are cooled or are still slightly warm, dig in!