Hi everyone! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, so to keep with our Valentine’s day theme, today’s recipe is shortbread heart cookies!
- 50g salted butter
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 25g caster sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- 75ml double cream
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserve
- A little caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Put the salted butter (at room temperature), a few drops of vanilla extract and the caster sugar into a bowl and mix with a spoon until evenly blended.
2. Add the plain flour and cornflour and mix with a spoon to make the dough. Bring the dough together with your fingertips, handling it as little as possible. Shape into a flat cake, wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes – for no longer than that or it will be too hard to roll out.
3. Lay a large sheet of cling film on a work surface. Unwrap the dough and put on top, then cover with another sheet of cling film. Roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin, and then remove the top sheet of cling film.
4. Cut out pairs of hearts with heart-shaped cutters and place onto the prepared baking trays, leaving a small gap between each biscuit. Gather up the leftover dough and roll out again to make more biscuits. You’ll make more biscuits than you’ll need for your Valentine's desserts, but they’ll keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly tinged at the edges. Leave on the baking trays for 10 minutes, then carefully lift them off and put onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Just before serving, whip the double cream until it just holds its shape. Take 8 biscuits and sandwich together with the strawberry preserve and the cream. Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and serve with strawberries and blueberries.
We hope you love this super sweet Valentine's recipe as much as we do! Enjoy!