I came home the other day to find the 10year old boy making these incredibly dainty apple flower pastries. If he can do it we can all do it!!
2 Apples – finely sliced
1 sheet of Just Roll Puff Pastry
3tbsps Marmalade or Apricot Jam
½ cup of water
½ squeezed lemon
Plain flour for sprinkling on the surfaces
Tablespoon measuring spoon
Muffin/fairy cake tin tray - lightly greased with butter or oil, we don't want them sticking
1. First things first are to finely slice the apples (Mum/Dad you come into your own here) once you’ve carefully sliced the apples pop the apple slices into the large bowl.
2. Add ½ cup of water to the apple slices in the bowl and ½ squeezed lemon
3. Pop this bowl of excitement into the microwave for 3 minutes
4. Whilst that is spinning around put three tablespoons of jam into the small bowl along with 3 tablespoons of water
5. Now, put the jam/water combination into the microwave for 1 minute, giving it a good stir when you take it out
6. Next thing to do is to sprinkle a little bit of plain flour onto the work top or table and over the rolling spoon. Very carefully begin to roll out the sheet of puff pastry and cut using the sharp knife into 6 thin strips (around an inch in thickness)
7. Spread the jam/water paste onto each of the 6 strips of puff pastry
8. This is the fun bit, you know need to make the pastry strip look like a dinosaur with lots of humps on his back. To do this lay the apple piece by piece along the top edge of the puff pastry strip, keep the rounded edge of the apple facing upwards away from the pastry.
9. Once you have a beautiful line of apple humps you need to very fold the bottom half of the pastry strip upwards to cover the bottom half of the apples.
10. Now carefully roll the puff pastry onto its self, it should naturally form the shape of a flower, take your time
11. Very gently pick up the flower you have just made and place it into the lightly greased muffin tin. This means that when you bake it, it will hold its shape.
12. Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes, keep an eye on the timer though and turn them around if one side starts to colour more quickly than the other.
Mostly, enjoy them!