Hi everyone! Easter and Mother’s Day are soon approaching, so to get into the Spring spirit, we thought you could give this marvellous mini egg cake a try!
· 450g self raising flour
· 2 level tsp baking powder
· 375g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
· 375g caster sugar
· 6 large eggs
· 2tbsp milk
· Grated zest 2 oranges
· 300g butter, softened
· 600g icing sugar
· 3tbsp cocoa powder
· 1tbsp milk
· 12 x 90g packs mini eggs
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line the bases of 3 x straight- sided 20cm round cake tins.
2. Put all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand-whisk for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Next, divide between the mixtures the tins, level the surface and bake for 25 minutes or until the top springs back when pressed lightly and a skewer, when inserted in the centre, comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then completely on a wire rack, so the buttercream won’t melt when you spread it on!
3. Then, you can make a basic buttercream by beating together all of the butter and the icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Put half of the buttercream in a bowl and add the cocoa and milk and stir until smooth. On a serving plate, use the chocolate buttercream to sandwich the 3 cakes in a triple layer. Spread the plain buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
5. Shortly before you serve the cake, press the mini eggs into the icing to decorate
We hope you love this Easter recipe, and don’t forget to keep an eye out for some Mother’s Day recipes next week!